01-12-2009, 06:56 AM   #39
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
1. You don't buy a compact hybrid for looks. People have to distinguish utilitarian automobiles from style statements. You buy a Ferrari to get looks and thrills. You buy a Prius to get from A to B as cheap as possible.

2. The diesel offerings from both VW and BMW are $5K-10K more than Japanese hybrids. Factor in the higher price of diesel fuel and you're in the hole bigtime. If your goal is to save money (Why else would you even be considering these cars unless you're an ultra-rich celebrity trying to make a social statement?) then why would you want to spend $5K-10K more initially and several K more a year on fuel?
For the same reason that I would consider purchasing a 135i over a 128i: driving enjoyment.

There are a lot of people who, all else being equal, would prefer to spend less on fuel, period. It isn't an apples-to-apples comparison to take a 123d and compare it to a Prius any more than you should compare a 335d to a Toyota Camry. They aren't in the same market segment. The Prius is a pure driving appliance to maximize fuel economy. The 123d promises a fun driving experience with darn good fuel economy numbers as well. This is important to me, as I buy vehicles and keep them for years, and something tells me that this Indian Summer of gas prices we're enjoying right now is not going to last very long at all.

And I hardly think that being in the market for a $25k - $35k MSRP vehicle puts one in the category of "ultra-rich celebrity".
Appreciate 0