09-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #272
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Awesome. I've not been on a track that fast before, that is just crazy. I'm going to take it easy ...
haha, somehow I doubt the "taking it easy part", at least after the first few laps. It's very different driving than a normal track course, you learn to use momentum on the banked turns to slingshot past others without turning the wheel (sorry, drafting not allowed) and spend most of the time at 120mph+.

Overtaking can take much longer (10 secs+) than at a typical track and often you can't downshift to pass due to the high rpms. Then you brake hard for a slooooow infield run, rinse and repeat. Some drivers will blow past the infield turn especially on session 1, it's ok, it happens. Better to continue straight than try to fudge a 155mph -> 70mph turn, there's a solid wall on the inside.

My first time at Pocono, it was raining, foggy, and I was running solo. My plan was to follow the cars in front of me for the first few rounds. First thing they did was space us apart due to the fog, plan foiled! I blew past the infield turn and did the whole tri-oval run, merged back into the North course on the far side. They didn't like that

To be honest, the course is a bit boring. It's one of the 3 tracks I make a point of visiting once, and only once, every year:

Pocono - get the max speed thing out of my system
Limerock - airtime!
Glen - Well, it's the Glen!!!

Always exciting to run a new track though, both of you post some pics/vids when you return!
Appreciate 0