04-26-2019, 07:27 AM   #50
Justin Daniels
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
In my experience, the difference between parts made in China for a "Western" company and parts made in China for an "Eastern" company is the final QC. A Brembo caliper made in China FOR Brembo is not always the same as a Brembo caliper made in China FOR "Dickass", even though it is made in the exact same factory by the exact same people. You save money by buying direct from a Chinese producer because you're skipping a few steps in the downstream value chain; but you're also saving money because you're basically taking the final QC into your own hands. Brembo would normally take this one for the consumer; holding the manufacturer to design tolerances, returning duff products, etc.

Whenever I get something "from China for China" that requires tight tolerances I make sure that I budget the time and money to inspect, and possibly repair/finish, the product. Issues such as rough bores, burrs, slack tolerances, bridged solder joints, re-used electrical components, cheap/wrong fluids, etc. are all things I've come across. As long as you're willing to take the time to verify that the product you're getting is meeting the correct tolerances/design/quality then there's no real risk in buying "from China for China". The problem is when people expect a solution that can just be bolted on and used in anger yet costs 50-70% of the "Western" solution.

With that being said, I don't trust Chinese rotors/drums... just personal experience. May be within tolerances out of the box (this is easy to do) but the metallurgy is all off and the first good honk on the brakes leads to foot massages any time after. This is experience from more than six years ago, so maybe things have changed.

What I would do, immediately upon receipt so I could return them:
  • Pop out the pistons, inspect and measure all seals (so you can buy replacements). If they are all good then re-install them
  • With pistons out; visually inspect bores, and measure the pistons (in case you ever need to replace them)
  • Reassemble calipers
  • Remove, measure, and replace disc hardware
  • Find what pads are needed and throw the included ones in the garbage
  • Be prepared to modify brackets (chasing threads, removing material for clearance, etc.)
  • Enjoy!
Or just run the things out of the box but make sure you're doing a good visual inspection every weekend until you feel comfortable with them.
Appreciate 2
8081M40.50
Torgus3781.50