09-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #19
Augster
Master Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerx View Post
I'd understand if this part was a wheel bearing or something that hardly never goes, but this is a water pump, a part that I would bet goes on at least 2 members of the forum everyday. I think it would be updated due to these unreliable parts.
I understand the purpose, but to expect a sticky just for parts price tracking will get quickly out of hand.

Why just a sticky on water pumps?

How about radiator prices?

Expansion tank prices?

Electric fan prices?

Heck, my alternator went bad after only 100k: why not make a sticky on alternator prices?

Where does it end? Who moderates what parts should be tracked and not tracked?

I understand the value of of a general guide for locating the best parts prices. I'm just trying to point out the futility of advocating a sticky for price tracking purposes of individual components only: if you look on each forum here, there are just a small handful of stickies, but most of them are truly useful. If you start introducing individual stickies for parts tracking, you could fill a whole page or more of just stickies, which every member would have to scroll/page through to get to the first non-sticky; it would certainly suck perusing the forums on smart-phones and smaller laptops.

And consider the potential number of people posting different prices, each sticky could balloon to hundreds of pages quickly, wasting bandwidth and storage for the admins as all previous posts become outdated and worthless with absolutely no value to anyone seeking the latest prices and sources.

Combining multiple parts for price comparisons on a single thread would be just too confusing and time-consuming for someone seeking the best price of a specific part. It's just simpler and quicker to Google, search eBay and CraigsList, as well as the popular parts e-tailers.

Besides, the cooling system of the E90's are much more robust and reliable than you think, unlike the previous E46 generation. Of all the BMW enthusiast web sites I'm a member of, I practically do not see any posts regarding the cooling system, so I'm not sure your WAG (Wild Ass Guess) that at least 2 forum members needing to replace E90 water pumps on a daily basis is remotely accurate nor based on any empirical evidence.

A continually running thread is fine, as it can die and revive as necessary; a sticky solely for individual parts prices is not.

Apologize for this becoming an outright lecture. I'm out.
Appreciate 0