Mautofied17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
It all depends....

The longer you keep a BMW, the more the miles, the more maintenance you will have to perform. Questions to ask:

HPFP replaced? These are under warrenty to 120k miles I think but you don't have much mileage left.
Injector recall done?
Water pump replaced? - $400 diy
VANOS solenoids cleaned and/or repaired? - free diy for cleaning
100k service done? ~$1000
Intake valves cleaned? $800 at a dealer, $400 at an indie, free diy
Has it had an alignment recently? - $80-$120
What about brakes? - ~$400 oem rotors and pads, more for upgrades
Has it ever been tuned? Raced?

There are a few other possible issues with the 07s.

In some 07s the motor can move enough for the crank pulley to hit the subframe which can damage the pulley and cause the motor to ingest the serpentine belt.

Certain 07s also have the propensity to blow diodes in the ECU which can also be very expensive to fix.

In either case budget a couple thousand dollars a year for repairs especially since it has higher mileage.

Also if I 4 or 5 grand to spend on engine parts (install myself) I would do the following:

LSD - ~$1500 + $1000 core charge for your whole diff.
Tune - $400-800 depending on which one you use.
Intake - $100 - 400 depending
Catless DPs - $400-800
Intercooler - $500-800
If I had a little left I would also upgrade the charge pipe and replace the diverter valves with aftermarket valves or a blow off valve - $500-600
Don't worry about the exhaust unless you want a different sounds

After that you can decide if you want to use e85 or meth.

Other things to consider:

Gauges - The P3 gauge is pretty nice but there are other options
Suspension - If you like the sport suspension there is little to do here but of course you could spend thousands on coilovers, m3 suspension arms, bushings etc etc. I added the supreme power lowering perches to my sport suspension to level the car out (lowers the front about 0.5")
Wheels and Tires
Etc
Etc
Etc

I have had my 07 for a year with no problems so far. It is an awesome car and I have thoroughly enjoyed it but your mileage will vary.

All the information I have put in this email I found myself on this forum and a few others by taking some time and reading. All the information is already out there. Take some time and educate yourself. As you can tell, you will need it.
I have learned most of this. We currently have an '06 BMW 325i that we have owned since 50k miles that has been very good to us. It now has 180k miles, so the higher mileage doesn't really scare me much. I plan on keeping it for 3-4 years, and I drive about 10k miles a year.

All the recalls have been done; HPFP and injectors. Not sure about anything else yet. I can probably get the dealer to throw some of that in.

Is there a fix for the motor movement and ECU? And is there anyway I can see all the warranty work performed?

Square 826M 20" Wheels, Dinan HAS, Dinan Midpipe, Dinan Axle-Back Exhaust, Dinan 10/12mm Spacers, SST Valve Controller
Appreciate 0