View Single Post
      07-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #24
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankcah View Post
How do I make sure I don't leak brake fluid? Do I literally clamp the line? Will it poor out instantly or do you have to swap out within a minute or two? never done this before. Meineke wants to charge me $80 for labor. $60 for Akebono pads and $41 for censor. (just for the rear pads)

QUESTION: How do the rear censors work? Do you need s new censor everytime you get new pads in the rear? Does the "censor issue" seem right for that price? I feel confident in doing the pads myself except for I don't want the brake fluid to leak.

Thanks in advance.
Have you ever changed pads before??? You shouldn't be touching the brake lines, thus there is nowhere for fluid to "leak" from. Are you asking about changing the brake LINES as well?

Try and read through/ search the threads next time, i know the censor question has been answered before. In short, did your brake change warning light go off? If so, you need a new sensor, if not, you dont, long as you dont brake it when removing. It simply clips onto the pads and can be removed easily.

My only concern is if you think there is leaking fluid during a brake pad change, are you sure you are ready to perform the work? Not trying to be a dick, but make sure you are 100% comfortable and ready, because if not, $80 is a VERY small price to pay on a bimmer for not dealing with the hassel. If this is your first brake change I would say to expect it to take anywhere from 1-4 hours depending on how easy things come off with tools at home, and how fast or easy of a pace you choose to work at.
Appreciate 0