Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
All,
Hoping someone can help here. I got to my car after work and noticed that the carpet was wet on the front passenger side floor closest to the door. In looking closer I noticed water was dribbling in on the door sill plate seam closest to the front of the car. I have no clue where the water is coming from. I checked the door seals and they seem fine. Does anyone have an idea? Please help. Thanks.
On E39s and other earlier bimmers this means it's the seal inside the door. On E39s this is a "they all do that (eventually)" problem. It involves pulling the door skin and resticking the foam vapour barrier/sound insulation back to the door frame with butyl tape or similar sealant. No matter what water gets inside the door and in certain situations can't drain as fast as it accumulates. The vapour barrier is supposed to keep the water in the door until it can drain but when it becomes unstuck water comes into the car at the door sills.

Not sure if this is a classic E90 problem or not. I'm guessing not since no one posts about it often. That would be the first thing I'd check. The sill logo plate is a wet zone. There is no critical seal there to keep water out of the car.
Appreciate 0