Sua Sponte
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 335is

Garage List
2013 BMW 335is  [8.84]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
To get it that quickly, that's very unusual unless they sent the "Interim remedy". Are you sure they didn’t send that replacement?

I live in Tampa and called Reeves BMW back on January 25 to check the recall update for my 2010 which I am in the HAH (High Absolute Humidity) Priority Group 1. The customer service agent checked my VIN said there still is no replacement units available, but she said she can contact BMW NA and have them send a ‘interim remedy’ which is only temporary until whenever the actual replacement or "Final remedy" is available. I said to the agent, I’ll just pass on that.
From what I found out, the "interim remedy" is part of Priorty Group 4 as per the following:

Some Initial Vehicle Manufacturers are replacing recalled inflators with newly manufactured "like-for-like" inflators while they work towards an alternative, final remedy. Vehicles in Priority Group 4 include those vehicles with driver side frontal air bag inflators that have received, or will receive, an "interim remedy," meaning they have been, or will be, remedied with a Takata inflator that has been recalled, and will require a second remedy once the final remedy is available.

Once repaired with the interim remedy, these vehicles are at the lowest risk of an inflator rupture because the inflator is new and has not yet been subject to long-term continuous exposure to HAH conditions. Unless specifically added at a later date to a higher Priority Group for re-remedy by their vehicle manufacturer, all remaining vehicles requiring a second, final, remedy of the inflator(s) are included in Priority Group 4.

So in layman’s terms, the "interim remedy" is a replacement that comes from a supply of never used defective airbags which they swap out with the notion that, if they have been stored in a cool warehouse, they are better than the current defective ones which have been in a humid car for several number of years.

I would double check with your dealer because they may not have told you that they use the "Interim remedy". Also, check your VIN# again just to be sure that it's off the recall list or if it's still on the list with a special note that it has the "Interim remedy" or something similar. But if you did get the actual replacement, good for you.
Your St. Pete dealer must have some kind of inside connection at BMWNA.
Off the recall list completely as of this week.