View Single Post
      10-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Stripped thread on PSS10 front strut.....FML!

Hi,

So while trying to diagnose the 'noise' that I've been getting from my front strut, upon taking everything apart, my mechanic noticed the stripped thread on the strut, where the nut would go.....

Another at the shop said that can happen from taking it apart too much, but this is only the SECOND time it's ever been taken apart, the first time being last week. I know it was good last week because he assembled it fine, if it wasn't okay, he wouldn't have been able to tighten the nut over the whole top hat assembly as there would have been no thread to tighten the nut onto.

I thought it was from cross threading and using the air tool to torque/loosen it. I believe my mechanic first loosened the lowering perches so there wasn't so much compression on the spring before he loosened the top hat. But this is what we found.....FML

They then proceeded to try and re-tap the steel and put new threads in, and they said the steel was 'too hard' so they weren't able to do that successfully.

Right now my car's at the shop, and my mechanic is trying to source just the front driver side shock so it can be replaced and be put back together again.

What do you guys think?

FML
Attached Images

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0