Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3
You are soo right !!

I had the same problem with bending wheels, and I've come to the conclusion its all about the construction of the wheel. I've had stock BMW 16" wheels (yes I kid you not, 16) that I've bent on a pothole, I've bent the 17" BMW wheels also. But I've also owned some aftermarket 18" wheels (BBS) that I've never bent, even on the worst of potholes. So its all about the contruction of the wheel, or atleast i'd say thats more of a factor then the size.

We can only hope and pray that the 18" wheels are manufacturered for quality I think they will be, because the multispoke design itself lends itself to being more strong.. impact forces get split up and sent in all different directions.. whereas on a 5spoke you are much more likely to bend. I guess time will tell and hopefully BMW made these wheels of high quality.. (sometimes they dont as I can vouch for !! )

btw, I drive the same way as you and have the same wheel problems as you, hehe, i take it that this is something all us enthusiasts get into.. I just cant help but drive fast, even if the road is all messed up.!
What? You have bent 16" wheels?...damn, you are so bad!!!
I feel a lot better now, seeing that I'm not as bad as I thought.

Your explanations about 5 spokes and multispokes makes sense now. The wheels that I kept messing up were 5 spoke. I haven't yet messed up my current multispoke 16" wheels.

I'm really scared about the 18" wheels and my driving style/record. I've been messing up wheels with an E36 318 Sport... I wonder what will happen with the extra power from a 330i. I certainly hope BMW built the 18" wheels for quality.
E90 330i 6MT|Space Grey|Red Brown|Alumin|Sunroof|Voice Control|Logic 7|Xenon|Prof-Navigation|Storage Pack|Luggage Pack|Extended Lights|Anti-dazzle Folding Mirrors|Climate Comf. w/screen|M-Sport Pack|Exclusive Pack|Innovations Pack|Alumin Pedals|CF Splitters|Delivered:19 March 2010
Appreciate 0