Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburger View Post
So I also had a similar case...
I took off my license plate and 2 screws were rusted so I ended up taking off plate holder.
Now I have a hole where there used to be threads.
Anyone know what to do?
Do I use license plate fasteners for the new square hole?
Fasteners such as
http://www.amazon.com/License-Plate-...plate+fastener
There are square white plastic (nylon) inserts that you can use in place of the threaded boss that broke out of the sheet metal on your trunk. BMW affixes the rear license plate bracket to the trunk using machine-thread screws threaded into the thread-boss where you now have a square hole. The nylon inserts are available at most real hardware stores (like ACE or Servicestar - i.e. not Lowes or Home Depot). The inserts come in standard sizes for square holes (you should measure the square, or ask if you can test fit some) and work like a hollow wall anchor were they expand and grip on the hole as the screw is screwed into the insert. The inserts are usually used with a sheet metal screw thread fastener, but you probably can get a way with using a machine screw if you want.

And kfriceman is correct, I always swap my license plate hardware as soon as I get a car to stainless steel to avoid this problem. I also use antiseize on any that screws into metal on the bracket.
Appreciate 0