08-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #182
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashey View Post
Hi George,

I am hoping you can help. You'll see that I posted a message to the board related to this but I wanted to see if you have specifically encountered this before first hand.

Used Meguiar's conditioner / cleaner on the interior this weekend. I wasn't careful enough and the black seatbelts got oily stains on them.

Is there any known way to safely remove the stains?

Thanks!
What have you tried on the area so far. I'd start off with a basic fabric cleaner, such as 303 Cleaner & Spot Remover or locally some Woolite (diluted to the proper ratio) or Folex. The area may need some agitation so a firm bristle brush may be helpful in getting the stain out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman32 View Post
Thanks for all the advise George. Turns out that it looked like someone spray painted something about 2 feet from the car. Entire car is coated with white spray. It took more than clay to get it off. I had to go to the 3M rubbing compound. It seems to have gotten the paint off. However the car is in worse shape than just that. It seems that they have a tree sap stains on the hood too. If I spend more time with the rubbing compound will that take it off or can you suggest anything more aggressive if need be.
Thanks again.
Assuming you've tried lesser aggressive combinations with no luck, then yes continuing with the 3M rubbing compound could help remove the tree sap etchings. There really isn't anything more aggressive than a compound other than wet sanding. Are you tackling this by hand or with a buffer? I would strongly recommend using a buffer with the compound. Let us know how you make out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
all right it's been a while lol but i've finally done everything you've said and it's still there. I can probalby scrape the piece off the window with some force, but do you think it's time to sand the paint down up there and polish it over? Also, what would you say is the best solutionto light swirls?

and i recently got scratches on the face of one of my rims. It's a funny story but i'll get right to the point. It looks as though only the clear coat was scratched, but it's a bit dirty in there. How would I clean it out and how would I go about bringing it back to its original state?

thanks in advance for the detailing wisdom george!
Before you jump into wet sanding, what polishes were used and was it applied by hand or with a buffer? The window shouldn't be much of a problem with the razor blade, did you try that yet?

The best solution to light swirls is investing in a Porter Cable 7424 Buffer along with a finishing polish, such as Menzerna PO106ff (one of the best available) or Final Polish II.

For your wheels, try using something like Mother's Billet Polish (found locally at any automotive store) or consider using something like P21s Finish Restorer, which works great on scuffs and oxidation, due to its chemical cleaners and micro abrasives.

Let us know what you end up using and how you make out with everything.

George
Appreciate 0