11-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #18
JustinGTP
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 MINI Paceman JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolodij View Post
Apparently - this may not be the case. Cars manufactured before 09/2009 appear to have a different CIC --- possibly with only a 40GB HD instead of an 80GB --- and the USB upgrade method doesn't work.

My 328xiT is a 08/2009 and I was unable to update to 2012 maps using USB no matter what I tried -- FAT32 or FAT or NTFS partitions --- 8GB, 16GB or 32GB thumb drives --- SANDISK, Imation or some other manufacturer --- bootable or unbootable, using Linux or Windows to format --- made no difference. The update would not start when the USB stick was inserted into the glove compartment port. Not even starting the update with the first DVD and trying to use the USB instead of the last 2 DVDs would work. I finally just painfully installed using DVD. Had to reburn the DVDs a few times to get ones that would work all the way through.

I can use the USB port to download music to the hard drive without difficulty, therfore the USB glove compartment port is "working". The ISTA/P software was updated in Sep 2010 (to version 2.37.1 I believe) and the maps to v 2010 by the dealer when I purchased the vehicle.

I have independent confirmation from two different BMW dealers -- Tischer and WG BMW near Philadelphia that the USB method will not work with my car. They're both happy to sell me the FSC code but I need to take the car to the dealer to upload the media -- $322 total. I believe my inquiry to Tischer is the reason they put the pre-09/2009 info on their web page.

As always YMMV
Not sure why you could not do it.

I have a 2009 LCI (production date of 2008-09-04) in Canada.

I did the 2012 map update through USB and with the FSC code from *******.

It is the 8" widescreen NAVI. Worked without any issue. I will updating to 2013 right away.

But isn't it funny they have a 2013 map update its end of 2012? They should do a 2013 map update at the end of 2013! Yeash.
'09 LCI 335i E90 in BSM over Oyster Dakota Leather, Manual, Sport, Navigation, Individual Audiophile, Executive, Active Steering, JB4 + MHD BEF, 335is Exhaust w/AWE Tuning Tips, AFE DCI, Euro Tails/Fog Light Switch, various painted and other OEM + mods, 19" M5 reps summer
'13 MINI Cooper S Paceman JCW R61in Light White & Black Roof/Mirror Caps/Sport Stripes, Loaded + Rare
Appreciate 0