View Single Post
      05-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #190
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Rose's playoff TPG is 3.7, regular season 3.4. Also, thank you for proving my point relying on FG% to show how a player is playing - it's very incomplete, and as a rate, relies largely on sample size. Either way, Rose's FG% has only dipped about 5% since the regular season, but he is scoring 2pts more per game. What would you rather have, at the end of NBA game, more points, or higher FG%? The winner isn't the one with the best FG%

I don't think he's being productive, I know he's being productive. Productivity is an aggregate concept, supported by mean counting stats. By talking FG%, a rate stat, you mean to say he's playing less efficiently. Which is true. However, while greater efficiency is over all good, lower efficiency does not always lead to diminished production, as the stats I've posted support. Further evidenced by the fact that given the sample size you've delineated (regular vs. post season) Rasual Butler is the most efficient player on the Bulls, and also very unproductive.
He has 3.7 turn over per game but 7 turnovers in game 4 in the most important game of the series.

There is no problem with the sample size we are analyzing. We aren't talking about 1 field goal attempt like you were referring to Butler. We are analyzing a sample of greater than 1000 shot attempts. He is shooting 5% lower than his season average. But to put this into perspective, he is shooting 36% against the Heat and 37% against the Pacers compared to his 09-10 playoff average of 45% and 08-09 playoff average of 49% (All with greater than 1000 shot attempts).

Like I said before, who cares if they score more points. You can take 30 shot attempts to score 30 points vs 15 shot attempts to score 30 points. To consistently take 30 shot attempt to score 30 points is just bad basketball.

Neither more points or better field goal % will win the game. There are other factors to consider. But in the conference final, Rose is struggling in PPG + field goal %. He only averages 23PPG against the Heat vs 30PPG against the Hawks and 27PPG against the Pacers.
Appreciate 0