08-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Does this sound right?

A friend of mine got the typical three lights of doom, ABS, TC and DTC lights. She took it to a garage as I couldn't get to her in time to read the codes and they've come up with this:

Quote:
The problem with your car is there has been a lot of movement in your nearside rear wheel bearing in which is moving the abs ring on the cv joint which is fouling against the abs sensor, until this work is carried out we can’t do anymore testing, but we suspect that this is the majority of the problems.

This is the list of the parts required for the work all from BMW as requested.

Wheel Bearing- £52.50 + VAT
Hub Carrier- £66.25 + VAT
ABS Sensor- £75.42 + VAT
CV Joint- £66.25 + VAT
Diagnostics Scan- £50 + VAT
Labour- 6 Hours- £420
Subtotal- £730
VAT- £146.08
Total- £876.50
She then asked why so many parts needed work and was told,

Quote:
They all need replacing because they are all damaged, you need to advise us on what part you would like us to replace, my previous email explained our diagnostics.
Now they haven't actually told her the results of the diagnostic, only charged her £60 for it! I get that the above could be possible, but do you think that they really need to replace that much stuff just for what sounds like a dodgy sensor and bearing?

I've asked her to get them to tell her exactly what the diag scan said, but in the meantime, what are the thoughts.

It's an E87 120d if that makes any difference but to be fair, they're virtually the same as our cars anyway so thought I'd ask here first.