View Single Post
      08-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Wild stab in the dark the 120d's an 04 plate to a 55 plate, if so the reluctor rings on the drive shafts swell and create the very issues seen by your friends described. This is a common issue sometimes missed.But to answer one of your points diagnostic wise the price you've stated is about right.

When the cars driven say when turning left or right slightly loading one side or the other up the traction control will chime in abruptly and some report the same symptoms when pulling away from a junction when the rear squats down, we've seen a shed load of early 1's a few 3's too with the same issue, when inspected (you have the car in the air and manually spin the wheel around looking at where the wheel speed sensors situated (if it's really bad you'll see the sensors worn abnormally)and this will give you a clue what you're looking for is the ring on the driveshaft that swells due to contamination and rust which causes the problem, worst one I've seen I actually heard as a rotational clicking. Kris (K M79's) seen a fair few of these and has spoken of it elsewhere.

At a guess if the bearings gone I think it'll be damn unlucky, like wise the CV joint, but things do wear but I feel it's wide of the mark to suggest these would of created the ABS issue, my money would be the driveshaft ring knocking out the speed sensor that'll of caused it. The other items(if worn?)and this needs to be proven are by products/other faults.

Remedy is a new driveshaft(in practice)though I've seen the rings on eBay and as they separate the driveshaft can be cleaned up and the ring itself replaced (again Kris's garage has found an ingenious repair method for this problem)but when we see these it's normally to get the car back on the road new driveshaft, speed sensor about 2 and a bit hours labour(on average)if you gave to bang the old driveshaft out there's a risk of bearing damage so again this could figure.

I could if course be 100% wrong! but from experience and what you've stated re the 3 magic lights I'd stick my money on this being the issue with the car.