John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarnDog View Post
Just wanted to give an update to this thread, in case anyone without iDrive is interested. I was able to complete the retrofit of my 08 E90 without iDrive and it was actually fairly easy compared to the procedures described above.

With iDrive, an added coax cable is needed to connect the diversity antenna to the IBOC module (for RTTI info, it sounds like). Wasn't needed in this case. All that was needed was:

-Replace radio head unit with model # that supports HD radio option S653 (most expensive part, but can recoup your costs by selling the old unit online)

-Install IBOC module in center of trunk, where SAT module would go using the SAT MOST connector (obviously requires SAT prep option and no SAT installed)

-Update programming and presto, HD signal now comes in as well as AM/FM

It was fairly straight-forward, once we realized that my existing head unit wouldn't work with the IBOC.

Thanks to TOM at EAS, he knows his stuff and works quickly.

So if I'm getting this correctly... I just want to make 100% clear, with your plan of attack here, you cannot have SAT radio AND HD.

Man its such a pain that its not as simple as getting a radio from a 2011 HD/SAT equipped e90/e92 and calling it a day. lol

I've been hearing that that MAY INDEED be a possibility going forward, as supposedly 2011+ models have the HD stuff built in. Not sure what it will require though in terms of antenna splitters and god knows what else....
If you have idrive now (pre-lci), and you wish to retrofit the new CIC with Sirius and HD radio, you actually can and its probably much easier than what is required of this thread. This is due to everything being built straight into the turner since 2010 I think. One thing though, for HD radio, you would have to get the USversion. Hit up patryk if you're interested

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0