View Single Post
      11-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #267
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
I figure if I get the midrange in good shape just using the onboard Hi/Lo filters of the XD600/6 I can add a subwoofer later and perhaps an EQ. In my past experience getting the deep bass was difficult and needed eq. I want to avoid having to put another electronic component in unless necessary. The advantage of the HiFi system is the full range, unEQ'd balanced differential signal delivered to the trunk mounted amp.

That said, I am a bit concerned in my simple system about bandpassing the underseat woofers. The XD600/6 seems to allow either Hi or Lo pass on a channel pair, but not both like a proper EQ would. My guess is that I will need to hi pass the 4 inch BSW's at 150-200. I can use the lo pass on the woofers to blend, but then have the concern that the woofers will not do a good job of mid bass if they are trying to push 35 HZ. I seem to remember that a tight, acoustic suspension enclosure creates a smooth sloped mechanical filter. That might work.
The best combo for you to take care of that 30Hz (or even below) to 150Hz band of sub and mid bass band without any DSP or EQ is to get both a dedicated sub and a mid bass and let the 4" do the rest.

Otherwise you will need tuning tricks to try to move that band to a point of compromise. The XD amp does not have the necessary tuning selections to eliminate the compromise, it will be filter frequency and gains and nothing else.

Either the SSMB8 or the ADMW9 will do as mid bass -from 50/60Hz to 200Hz and a trunk sub can take care of the 20Hz to 60/80Hz. IMO, VP Electricity trunk sub for the E90 and an ID10 will be more than fine filling that sub band.
Appreciate 0