Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Make sure that after you attached it to the VM, you set it to COM1 inside the VM and set Latency to 1. If you've done all that, don't worry about the airbag test; some people always have problems with that. Just make sure you've got both black dots up top and if so proceed to NCS.

As for reverting to stock, there are conflicting reports about how best to do that (blank MAN file seems easiest but isn't always recommended, using Expertmode seems to be the right way), but honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can't do serious damage with coding (unlike bad engine tunes), so if there's some behavior that's annoying you, see if it can be coded differently -- otherwise, just enjoy the car.
You can do damage my friend... Although it's unlikely.

It depends on how far you take the 'coding'. If it's just enabling simple features, the risk of failure is very low. If it's editing nettodat, using tool32, or winkfp - there is a much higher risk involved. Keep in mind that wert values for different things often coorespond to different voltages, so you could infact run a higher voltage than desired.

Other than that, if you don't go out of scope, it's relatively safe. Of course it's important to maintain laptop and car battery voltage (meaning don't try on a weak car battery, or drained laptop battery), turn off accessories, don't use a cheap cable, process each module seperately, etc..

And as far as coding back to stock, I suggest using a blank MAN file while using expertmode.

PS: Hard to do damage with ECU tuning unless you actually intend to

I look at this thread once every blue moon, happy coding everyone.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0