England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
Viv

I noticed in another thread that you have said assist & online is free. also, smeone else stated that you had to have opted for online when you bought your car. I don't remember being asked for either, but I did get the telematics pack with my Nav Pro.

Any idea what i'm entitled too?

thanks
B
If you've got at least bluetooth integration with telematics, then you can register for 3 years free BMW Assist.

BMW Germany came to the decision, at the end of August, of allowing free access to the full ConnectedDrive package (Assist & Online) until 2010.

BMW Online requires the option ticking before you buy the car, although it is retro-fittable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
What is the difference between Telematics and Assist? I am sending off the Assist forms this weekend (having received them through the post straight from BMW UK). Is there something else that needs to be done to activate Telematics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
It would appear that Telematics is the technology name for all the car's communications functions (assist, online, sos, etc)
See this link

'Assist' and 'Online' are just sub-systems of Telematics.
Indeed- telematics is BMW's 'word' for the whole technology behind communicating with your car, using the internet & mobile services.

Assist & Online are the 2 BMW telematics applications currently available in the UK. The whole package of applications is called ConnectedDrive.
The US also has a 'tracker' system, which is a part of their Assist package, but we don't (yet) have it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Make sure that BMW install a "clear my temporary files" option before your missus gets in the car.

Quote:
Your SOS button probably don't work unless you've registered for assist?
It certainly won't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by da2 View Post
hi
just spoke to bmw assist as i wanted to add on the online package to my bmw assist, i was informed that is all combined into bmw connecteddrive but there will be no online functions from the car, anyone heard this?
i suppose it makes sense now its free
BMW Online is the ability to get online from within the car- read emails, browse information sites, use Google Maps etc.
You need to have the BMW Online option ticked, before buying the car, in order to register for Online.
However, it is available as a retrofit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
whenever someone types ''BMW Assist'' all i picture is viv saying it int hat croation/north english accent on the torch scandal vid

''BMW AAASSISSSST''

BMW Assiiiiiiiiiiist- good, no?

Quote:
yeh mon...just spoke to a very nice young lady at BMWASSIST-R-US and she pulled my application out of the pile and put it through due to my pending trip

She confirmed that any applications now are for a 3 year trial (imagine after 2 years and 364 days not being sure if you still want it?!). Big thanks to Viv for the heads-up.
No problem, Paul.

Quote:
Sussed it! Think I was being an idiot with password/user id.
It even has a route planner built in on the portal (which I wouldn't know about if Viv hadn't told me about the portal!)
What a shame you can't send the exact route to the car via nav!
I agree- route sending would be great, considering you can do that in Google Maps already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC4J View Post
You can send the location using Google Maps and the nav will store it and route you there - I've just done so. Cool!:rocks:
It really is 'peachy'!

I had my car in for an 8 hour Progman/telematics (car software) update today, so that the Assist menu could be setup in the Idrive.

The dealer had never carried out a telematics update with a full Progman update before, & certainly not for an imported car!

The main software went through fine, after about 5 hours. They then carried out the telematics update & that was fine, until they turned the ignition off- it vanished on turning the engine back on! :mad:

So, it took another few hours to re-set the TCU (telematics control unit), the TCU software & the Idrive. Then it worked!

I've got to thank Graham the technician & Michael on the Service desk for their great help & commitment to getting the job done.

They even waited after clocking off at 5pm, to see if the Assist update & first call would go through, which they did!

So, for anyone thinking about getting any dealership work in the north-east of England, I recommend
Mill BMW in East Boldon, just outside Sunderland!

They know me quite well now, because they'd never met a customer who had more technical service bulletin information about the update, than they did!

I've called Assist up a few times now & I keep 'testing them' with strange questions, like:

'Can you tell me when the next horror film starts at my local cinema please?!'
'Can you tell me where I can stay tonight please, because I can't get into the house?!'
'Can you tell me if it's closer to this pub in Newcastle, or this one in Sunderland?!'

Strangely, I got appropriate answers to all of my questions & they send the locations & phone numbers straight to the car!

Oh, & a big thanks to Matt for looking up an order code for a BMW keyfob cover I was after- the parts dept couldn't find it, but Matt could!

All the best.

Viv

Last edited by vivekk; 09-14-2007 at 05:47 PM..
Appreciate 0