View Single Post
      01-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
335xi_fun
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 04 STI, 08 GTI, 08 E90335xi

DIY: 335xi Short Shifter Install and Console Removal (addendem to 335i)

Attached is a pdf showing how I installed the BMW SSK in my 2008 335xi. What I found was there was no access from below to get to the linkage clip like there is on the 335i. and the components are also quite different.

Note that the attached pdf shows how I actually did the install, though I now think there is a much easier way that doesn't require getting under the car or removing the console. It all depends on if the location of the pivot ball on the stock shifter is different enough than the short shifter to keep you from getting to the clip.

Confirmed EASY Method (by xdrive)-

1) Remove the knob and boot.
2) Slide off the rubber boot from the shifter.
3) Use two flat screwdrivers and twist clockwise and release the plastic cup.
4) Lift the shifter up as far as it will go while still connected to the linkage. The short shifter sets up on the aluminum bracket. See below or picture 24 and 25 of the attached pdf file.
5) Remove the clip through the opening and then slide out the shifter linkage from the bushing.
6) Install the new shifter, I angled my toward the back of the car even though the 335i procedure says to do it the opposite. I felt this best matched the stock geometry.
7) Slip the linkage into the bushing and install the clip through the opening.
8) Press the plastic cup back into the aluminum bracket and pull up on the shifter to make sure it is locked in place.
9) Slide the rubber boot back on, using some silicone spray makes this easy.
10) Install the leather boot and knob.

If there is enough room to remove the clip like I was able to install the new one this should be the process. Can't imagine it would take more than 30 minutes to do this method. Let's just say it took me quite a bit longer than that to figure this out.

As far as the shifter and 'M' knob compared to stock, huge improvement. I highly recommend doing this upgrade.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2008 335xi Short Shifter Detailed Install.pdf (1.38 MB, 4704 views)

Last edited by 335xi_fun; 01-15-2008 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: EASY Method now proven
Appreciate 0