RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I've had the painted reflectors for over a year, and had the car inspected with them at the dealership here. No issues. I looked at my wife's Altima and there are no "body" reflectors, just the amber turn signals at the front that wrap around the side of the fender. I then looked at my own wraparound lights and noted the amber bulb which is lit when the lights are on and visible from the side of the car. E90s have an amber-colored section in the headlight units that wrap around, and I believe that's reflective, too. I say it'd be a tough argument to say those reflectors are required and that the amber light isn't sufficient.

And here in Texas, they check everything, including emissions, which leads me to wonder how the "catless DP" guys are getting away with it, unless they swap the stock units back in for inspection. As far as that idiot who actually painted his bulbs, his stupidity earned him what he got, especially dealing with VW. I had a run-in with them in 2001 and they are so anal that they actually would deny warrantly claims for window lifts if the owner had installed aftermarket tint film "which could peel off and interfere with the window mechanism".

I have State Farm insurance (35+ years now), and I'd like to know specifically what part of my warranty they can tell BMWNA to void because I no longer have the amber reflectors (6" below my amber turn signals). What is in the warranty that is related to reflectors? Can we get a specific answer on that or can we call BS on this one?

So here's a reverse-twist on getting painted vinyl overlays for the reflectors: Get some orange/amber reflective tape and put it on your painted reflectors if you run into problems...that way you can peel it off after whatever horrendous trouble you get into blows over.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey

Last edited by RoundelM3; 08-26-2010 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0