View Single Post
      12-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #29
Rob_BMW_PNW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
No, that isn't the only reason it can happen. If you ran same boost curve on both turbos, the ps2 would still make more power. It can happen because of being able to hold boost higher, but if you take a smaller turbo that is getting to the edge of its efficiency rating (like the N55 stocker or ps1) and compare it to the PS2, you will get a much lower outlet temp. Yes the intercooler lowers the temp, but it isn't near 100% efficient and you will end up with lower AIT with the larger turbo. This is also a huge benefit of meth/water/nitrous injection.

That is not correct at all, pressure is pressure. It is just a reading, so yes all PSI are equal. Now, that is not all of the equation that we are interested in. The equation is PV=nRT. R is a constant and N is the amount of the substance, so we can take them out for comparison purposes, so PV=T. What we have left is pressure * volume = temp. We know the volume inside the turbo tract is constant, so we can take out volume too. That means if we lower the temp, the pressure will also lower. So the same amount of oxygen is available for combustion at a lower pressure if we lower the temperature. A 20*F drop in IAT's will be an increase of 4% in power at the same boost level.
I was referring to psi in making power
19 psi in a stock turbo, is not the same as 19 psi in a PS2 car