Thread: EVO X or STI?
View Single Post
      08-30-2012, 06:43 PM   #52
son_of_siggy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: CTS-V

I used to own a 12' STI Limited Sedan. Really enjoyed the car but traded it and went electric to save some $$. Before buying it, I test drove a 2010 Evo X MR twice. Also a great feeling car.

Hands down, the STI is a more comfortable car for daily driving and commuting. That said, the MR is more tolerable in traffic.

The MR handles better out of the box, but frankly 99% of drivers can't push either to their limits on stock suspension.

The STI's tranny/diffs are pretty bulletproof. The MR tranny can have some issues with track use and more power, but there are people running 500whp through them.

The STI's motor is what is lacking. Stock, it feels OKAY. The power is there, but doesn't feel smooth. They're still having issues with ringlands, so that's always a consideration when going much above 300whp.

The STI feels like a bigger car, and it is. If you're a tall guy like myself, forget about getting an adult behind you in the Evo. In the STI its not an issue . . . loads more legroom.

As a performer, I'd definitely give the Evo a shot. As a primary daily driver, unless you hate shifting, the STI is a good mix of daily drivability and performance.

I'm surprised to see people commenting on the 335i being more expensive to mod. We have one, and at least in terms of power, it's some of the best bang for the buck out there. A few K to have 400rwhp . . . try that on an STI. EVOs are a bit easier, but I'd venture still close to the 335i costs. Also keep in mind that whatever you do, you're only going to get 20-22mpg from the STI or Evo. I drove the STI like a doll during the week, and managed to average 21mpg. The 335i we have has loads more power, and can get 30mpg pretty easily.
Appreciate 0