10-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #19
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, F80 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
Well we had a tough one on a customers car of mine, ever since we've had the Injen on the car we started getting all sorts of crazy MAF overrun codes and what not.

Due to the lack of a smoke tester (customer borrowed it and evidently broke it..not too happy), we couldnt exactly find the cause of it...after some probing and pushing we found the charge pipe had cracked right along the molded bracket where it bolts to the alternator, leaving a 2" split that was invisible to the eye unless you squeezed the pipe...

Im going to get some pics up by tomorrow, but all of you guys should be aware that not only will they crack up by the TB, but this seems to be a weak spot as well.

FYI this car has no meth or anything crazy, just a tune, intake and AR's prototype catted downpipe. Now I can finally get back to the dyno and see what we can do
Matt could you explain in greater detail the symptoms ur customer had with his cracked CP.

Im on stage 2 running at 16PSI JB4, and just today when i floored my car and hit peak boost, i heard a loud woosh noise, and the SES light came on even though my JB4 has the can tool to auto clear codes. Subsequently my car could only run up to 5 PSI of boost, till i pulled over, manually cleared the codes, and shut down the engine for awhile. After start up, all was fine and i was hitting my usual boost again of 16 PSI.

When i got back to the garage, i decided to do a self test, and put the car in DS Mode, stepped hard on the brake pedal and floored the accelerator, i saw my boost gauge hit 16 PSI again and woosh the error came back out, and the car drove at max 5PSI.

Do you think these are symptoms of a cracked charge pipe?

thanks!
Appreciate 0