DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony View Post
Well, it depends on where I'm seeing the closest to the threshold. I'm seriously thinking about both, but I want to record data on both first. I've been holding back on an IC upgrade specifically because some of them block off part of the radiator. I ran at Barber back in Sep with ambients around 87F, got the oil temps up to the 280s and got high 280s at my last private event at TGP with similar ambients. TGP is a small bike course that's cheap to rent and I like going there to work on fundamentals (I don't drive at instructor level yet .) It's tough on tires and brakes though.

I haven't been able to record my coolant temps, but reb03's thread where he limped because of coolant in the step gave me pause on assuming it was the oil system that was the problem. I think more data is necessary to make an accurate decision. Does the 6mt have a better coolant system?

I've got a track event this weekend and another one in Jan, but it's been in the 40's so I doubt that's going to provide any real good data. I also need to get a good data logger. Will have to wait until March or so for ambients to go back up.
I might need to log the data as well before upgrading, but since my factory oil cooler was retrofitted, my oil temps reduced from 290ish to about 260-70ish when really, really pushing the car (including autocross events although those are too quick to really test the temperature issue). I would like to get the oil temp reduced further and if my coolant temps cause problems, then without a doubt would consider a larger or upgraded radiator.

PS, looking forward to this weekend! i'll give ya a call or send you an email.