View Single Post
      08-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #1231
qkibo83
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe MT

HELP...fuel pump speed?

Hi all,

about 2 weeks ago at around 62K my water pump gave out and left me stranded on the highway. I replaced that myself and thought all my problems would be fixed. Not the case...

The car was running fine for few days but then i noticed once i pulled into the garage from work that there was this loud noise almost as if the fan was running at full speed. From what i have read on the forums that is one of the symptoms of the water pump going out, but i just replaced the darn thing (bought parts from dealer). As a side note, the car has been running fine under normal driving, however under sudden acceleration it would sputter as if it was misfiring. I hooked up the car to my Rheingold software (i'm still learning how to properly use/navigate this software) and noticed i had the following three new codes in the fault memory:

0029CC (DME: Combustion misfires, several cylinders)
0029CE (DME: Combustion misfires, cylinder 2)
0029D2 (DME: Combustion misfires, cylinder 6)

I took a screen shot of the fault memory and then performed "delete fault memory". Immediately i felt the difference in idle. Took the car for a spin and on the highway to re-generate codes and it ran like new. For past 4 days i have been hooking it up to the Rhenigold and there are no faults whatsoever. However i still feel the sputtering or misfiring when i do a sudden acceleration. I navigated through almost all different options of Rheigold and then when i call up the ECU function and do the Diagnosis scan there are three options:

1. Actual speed, fuel pump (for speed control only)
2. Setpoint delivery quantity, fuel pump (for speed control only)
3. Setpoint speed, fuel pump (for speed control only)

When i clicked to view the real time values they kept moving but more or less they were:

1. 3409 1/min
2. 149 l/h
3. 7029 1/min

Based on the real time values the actual speed of the fuel pump speed was a little more than half the set point. Is this normal or is this an indication of a upcoming pump failure. I think the HPFP is still under the 10yr 120K mile warranty.

Please help with this i do not want to take it to the delaer as i am out of warranty other than the HPFP which is still covered. According BMW USA rep the dealer will charge diagnostic fee of more than $150 if its not the HPFP but if it is they will replace it and eat both the HPFP and diagnostic costs.

Thank you for your input
Appreciate 0