01-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718 View Post
Yeah, I've already tried to open one and failed pretty badly lol. By the time I got it opened the channels where the sealant goes to is destroyed by prying it with heat.
Yea I have no idea how they do it but this is basically the email Lightmodz sent me when I asked them how they did it. Seems like they have a solid method of doing it

Quote:
Peter,

Thank you for contacting LIGHTMODZ. The E90 Lights are permasealed. This makes opening the headlights to modify the internals much more difficult and time consuming. The permasealed lights use a sealant that is permanently cured and does not soften when baked in the oven like other headlights that use the standard Butyl sealant. We use a very tedious and time consuming process to open the lights and then remove the permaseal in the channels and replace it with the Butyl Sealant. This process takes about 1.5 days and 2 people working on it. Once this is done. All the internals can be modified like any other headlight, (ie. painting, LED Angel Eye installation or anything else your heart desires). After the modifications are done, the headlights can be closed normally and will be sealed thoroughly as to prevent any condensation. This method also leaves the outside of the light much more aesthetically pleasing and nicer than when other vendors open the permasealed headlights by literally cutting them open with a dremel and resealing the seam with bathroom silicone caulk. Its hideous. You can see a comparison here ---> Comparison Post.
We need the headlights for at least two or three days in order to complete this process successfully. I've attached an Estimate for you to look over. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards
Jay
More Pictures: Build Thread /// 683AWHP/675AWTQ
Appreciate 0