beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonicdriver View Post
Being a qualified Police response driver, and having driven both my e90 and my wifes TT Quattro during this snowy period I can say quite definately that the E90 with winters is better braking and cornering in the white stuff and ice than the Quattro with standard tyres.
Ive done the 30mile round trip to work and back every day in atrocious conditions and have complete confidence in the E90.
As for 4x4s, again it comes down to knowing how to drive in the conditions and accepting that the only benefit they give is in traction and (for some) ride hieght.
Yet again on TV yesterday two 4x4s, one (a discovery) having to be pulled out of the snow, and another (Range Rover) completely blocking a narrow lane with high banks either side after skidding and turning 90 degrees to the road.
TV seems to show lots of BMWs unable to get any traction, but more 4x4s actually involved in accidents. (Probably cos the BMWs cant actually move far enough to have an accident)
Its not what youve got its how you use it! Though the right rubber does help!
Right so you are now able to drive a RWD car in the snow. I can only state and we believe each other accordingly, that I do not feel any lack of confidence. I do however, only drive when it is necessary. I am fully able bodied and have the use of two limbs called legs that can be used if necessary. So do all the police cars have winter tyres fitted whatever the vehicle? I could walk down to the bottom of my street and ask at the 'Police Box'.

Indeed it is down to knowing how to use it to a degree. I'm an 'older model' and have driven cars through many a bad winter.

So when you lobbying Parliament then for a change to our tyre laws? It would be extremely difficult to get passed I would imagine and based on the very small few on here that are bothering also (probably because they are in RWD cars), it would take some getting through.

Comes down to freedom of choice at the end of the day.

A Merc E Class I saw yesterday had got far enough to have an accident - front end damage......don't know the circumstances so can't assume anything imo.
Appreciate 0