BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt View Post
Actually, you DO have to worry about the things that I posted.

Like I said, the diverter valve is calibrated to open at a specific pressure difference.

The pressure in the intake tubing is less than Atmospheric, so the valve is opening at a different time.

You can do anything you like, I'm just giving my opinion, based on technical knowledge of the N54 engine, and turbo engines in general.

Think of it this way:

BMW spent untold MILLIONS of dollars engineering this car.

You want to change what's up just to hear the blow off?

seems to me that's a tad foolish. Don't get me wrong, I love to hear BOV's. But I think if you're going to do it, at least BUY a product that has a little engineering behind it, like a real BOV. You don't need to buy the most expensive one, but something that's had some testing on this car is a plus.

This is kind of like the guys who used to mod their late 80's turbo supras.

There was a specific mod that went around, a lot like this one, that had negative effects. Owners used to bash in the top of their stock diverter valve, because then it would blow off to atmo and sound like a SWEET SSQ. Sounded AWESOME. And it was free.

Too bad they were leaking boost, and losing performance.

Just do it right. This is a high class, heavily engineered, extremely powerful peice of German brain power.

This is NOT an entry level econobox that you have to mod cheaply because you're too broke. If you're going to mod your BMW, do it RIGHT.

Not with plugs and e-tape, and bypassing engineering that cost more than I'll probably make in my lifetime.
Uhhhh.... the diverter valves are still opening when the throttle body closes, they just aren't routing back into the intake. I wouldn't do this mod to my car so you don't have to lecture me on BMW engineering. I'm NOT disagreeing with you as far as doing things the right and wrong way, but at the same time a VTA BOV doesn't do anything magical either. It will function the same way as disconnecting and plugging where your diverter valves were plumbed back into. Instead of doing it with rubber plugs and electrical tape you would have a solid pipe. If I wanted a BOV, I would pay for one, but what he has setup won't hurt anything since the valves still function the same.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0