06-29-2009, 08:13 PM   #25
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
The 210 mm effective focal length of the G9 is REAL telephoto. Discounting that is misleading to the noob. I've got a 200mm tele for my DSLR along with a 1.4x extender. I usually use it without the extender except for nature shots. Yeah, I'd like to have a 400mm for birds and such, but that's a lot of money for something that isn't my primary interest.

I've taken thousands of images with the G8 and G9 and they have very good (not excellent, but very good) image quality at almost all focal lengths in good light. This is especially true when processed with DxO's Optics Pro. Your assertion that they're no better than the average P&S (not PoS, which is a derogatory term) is very misleading to noobies.

Just because you're in love with wide angle, you're not really the norm. If people couldn't have a zoom and could chose only one prime lens, it would be a "normal" lens around 50mm. You can argue all you want, but in the old days when high quality zooms were rare and very costly, the most popular primes lens for 35mm cameras were around 50mm. I suspect that would hold today if circumstances were similar.

Thanksfully they're not. Most people don't buy a P&S to only use it at its wide end of the zoom range.

Dave