07-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #18
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335icoupe View Post
You could always wet sand and polish and then put a protective film over the headlights to preserve them.
As I mentioned, I plan to use XPel film. In my mind that does not eliminate the need for a UV blocking layer on the light. There's conflicting information on whether the 3M film blocks UV from passing, or is merely UV stabilized to protect itself. On one hand 3M will state that the film passes UV so that when it is applied to paint the covered and uncovered paint will fade evenly. On the other, they yack about UV protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.g View Post
my friend has done many and once he has them wetsanded/polished/looking new, he shoots some clearcoat, but for the most part he applies opti coat, which is supposed to be a permanent sealant, and easy to apply.
Sealant, yes. UV blocker - not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
Alternative product: - once both lenses have been polished to restore clarity, they should be sanded with 1500 grit finishing paper, this ensures the clear coat has a ‘key’ to enable adhesion. When you spray clear coat on the sanded lenses it fills in those light scratches and makes them clear and glossy making them look brand new. Sp*****x® (aerosol spray) is a 2K clear paint: two-component acrylic resins plus isocyanates hardener that contains UV protection

Product Application- shake aerosol can vigorously for two minutes before activating. To activate, take the red button from the cap and attach it to the pin on the bottom of the can. Put the top of the aerosol can on stable on a stable surface and push the red button firmly and press the pin into the can. Shake again for two minutes to ensure activator is thoroughly mixed with clear coat.

Apply 2-3 light coats and allow 5-10 minutes between each coat. After the application of the final coat allow approximately 24 hours dry time or use an infra red (IR) drying lamp (recommended)

“Headlight Restoration” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1506615

I saw that one - two parts as mentioned. I think I've selected this one for my restoration. The activation of the spray can implies it's going to work once and only once. Mixing the multiple ingredients in Infinity 4.1 seems to imply to me that it will have a shelf life between uses.

http://www.deltakits.com/products/4/847

I plan on removing the headlights and foglights from the car and working on a workbench instead of taping things off. I plan to work through several grades of sandpaper depending on what I find - I've got all kinds of stuff through 2500 IIRC. I plan to finish with Menzera SF4000 on an LC white pad and then top with Infinity 4.1. Soon after I'll get my 3M film on there once I'm sure that I'm happy with the results and everything is fully cured.
Appreciate 0