View Single Post
      11-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Myaddiction
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
If you noticed it just driving around it's the front control arms/tension arms and probably the tie rod ends.

Our control arm/tension arms have bushings that are fluid filled and when they leak (which they all do eventually) they get really sloppy. The tie rods just wear like any other car.

The M3 arms are a great upgrade that just bolts on if you want a sharper setup. Several vendors sell the replacement parts and the M3 upgrades. Just do a search and you'll see plenty on them.

The easiest way to check the arms to to stop quickly from a low speed (15mph) and if the car jerks forward and aft instead of a single motion your arm bushings are shot.

For a like new feeling I'd replace the parts in this order:

Control arms/tension arms (M3 parts)
Tie rod ends
Sway bar end links
Strut top bearing/bushings

Of course if your car is overly "bouncy" or wallows your shocks may be worn out or well on their way at 80K

I just saw that you are going to install H&R springs on the factory shocks that have 80K on them? I highly recommend you do not do that unless you are just going for the look and ride be damned. If your shocks are not gone springs will finish them off in no time. It will be painful to drive as the car bounces all over the place. I would hold off and get some shocks with them. If you are on a budget go with the koni yellows.

Last edited by Myaddiction; 11-12-2012 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0