View Single Post
      04-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #103
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirantsE90 View Post
Glad to see this back. Surprised you haven't worked out how to use the exhaust for added down force like in F1. Any pictures of your f2000 machine? Amazing engineering as usual.
Thanks for the kind words guys!

I've definitely pondered making a legitimate blown diffuser, but for some reason I'm terrified of fire. There's really no reason for my heightened fear, since the exhaust temps at the rear of the exhaust system are relatively low, and themotec sheets with fiberglass airdams should protect against any conductive, radiant or convective heat transfer. Still though, I just fear any risk of fire I've tested the carbon underbody panels to 500*F with conductive heat transfer (500* pipe sitting directly on the panel), with only softening of the epoxy, but any higher than that and it's definitely possible to melt enough epoxy and ignite the carbon or oxidize the kevlar. Either way, it's just something that I don't see being worth the risk

I don't actually drive in the USF2000 series, rather am the Chassis engineer/data guy for a newer team. Here's a picture of the car from St Petes a few weeks ago

St Petes12 by Brian May 80d, on Flickr

St Petes 11 by Brian May 80d, on Flickr
Appreciate 0