Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toicy4ya View Post
Sup guys,

This morning as i was driving to work my car indicated low oil. When i pulled up the message on idrive, it stated "Add one quart as soon as possible". However, after parking the car for several hours (while at work) i turned on the car and it indicated "Engine Oil Level Ok". Is this normal?
You're a bit ambiguous here.

If you RTFM you'll see that there are two separate oil level checks. One is a "sufficient oil to safely start engine" check which can be performed before starting the engine and for a few minutes afterwards. After the oil is warmed and sufficient time has passed, the more accurate "dynamic oil level" test will give you a more precise and accurate reading of your oil level.

You say you "turned on the car and it said it's OK". I read this as meaning that you checked immediately, thus the readout is only telling you that you have enough oil to safely start the engine.

I believe that you still need to add oil, and you should judge the current level in the crankcase after the engine has been warmed up and running for some time and you can see the proper dynamic oil level test results.

As for which oil - if you're under some sort of warranty then get something that says "LL-01" on the label (Mobil1 0W40 or Castrol Edge 0W30 European formula or BMW 5W30 though that's my least favourite of those choices). If you're outside of warranty then you have more options.
Appreciate 0