12-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #17
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
From the Valvoline tech I talked to on the phone, it is the SAPS that makes it such a long lasting oil, hence HST (high SAPS technology) has formal approval. MST, (mid SAPS technology,) was what I was told was sold in 55 gallon drums before which was LL-01 compliant, and the stuff in the stores was not approved. Now you can get MST in stores in qt sizes.. I got a part number for the MST, and you can get it at NAPA. (I'm afraid I lost it though. You can call the number on the Valvoline website and they will answer. I called the day after Thanksgiving and someone was there to answer.) I would not get anything other than LL-01. There is a reason not many oils don't have it. I noticed for example that the base number for the MST is 7, while Mobil 1 0w-40 is 10. Since I am an Amsoil dealer and they explain that the base number is what gives an oil it's longevity, you can look at that number to gauge how long an oil will last before it needs to be changed. (I haven't looked up this number for Royal Purple, Motul, etc...) The base number is like a buffer to the acid that is produced from the combustion process. That is why the higher the longer it is rated to last. Since I do not know how the oil life sensor works inside the engine, I would stray away from anything else. For example, if it is not measuring the oil, and just driving conditions, then the oil will fail before it says you need a change...
I was looking at valvoline in walmart the other night and I didn't seem to see any LL approved oil. I did see that there was an oil brand that had LL-04? O.o what's the difference vs. LL-01?
I think ill just stick straight to mobil 1. Its a "noisy" oil according to other people but I don't seem to notice a thing, I'm kinda curious, do oil stabilizers need to be LL approved?
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0