09-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, F80 M3CS

Exhaust Laws in Mass

Hey Guys,

So a friend of mine got in to a car accident today, and i drove out to the site to help her out with the towing and other paperwork. We decided to follow the tow truck back BMW Herb Chambers Boston when a state trooper pulls me over near medford. I had drove past him at 5mph MAX.

He comes to my window with a tint meter, and i kinda guessed what was about to happen. The thing is, i had just FOUR DAYS AGO purchased this vehicle AS - IS from another state, and had only just registered it in Massachusetts yesterday.

I showed him all the paper work, but he came at me with
1. No front plate.
2. Harsh Exhaust noise
3. Aftermarket Exhaust
4. Illegal Tints.

For a total fine of $300. He was kinda harsh at the beginning when he issued the ticket, but i was respectful and he kinda warmed up to me a little. Explaining that i should fight this in court, and bring the car down to court, for him to see that "i MADE IT ALL RIGHT". He went on to elaborate on how an aftermarket exhaust can pollute the environment, and disturb the peace. Either way. He told me that my 335, should have NO OTHER EXHAUST but the one that a BMW 335 should have. I told him that i bought the car with this exhaust and i dont have the stock one. He told me i had to fix it, and also told me to tell all my friends about what he told me today (about modifying cars). He was a pretty friendly guy at the end, so no hard feelings but i can't help feeling cheated.

I got to BMW HC, and told the techs about it. They laughed and told me that the troopers claims were ridiculous. As long as it passes inspection, i should be fine. Anyway, i am on vanguard V2s right now, and i am thinking of getting a used akrapovic, or the BMW performance exhaust (just to be on the safe side). What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0