10-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #188
guitarguylp
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Performance

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Is the 3" mounting depth too much? I haven't pulled the stock subs out yet to check to see what I can get for clearance.

I am just starting work on my 128 since I got it last weekend, and found out that the previous owner blew two of the stock mids so he had them disconnected so I wouldn't know when I was test driving it, so that is why I am upgrading the stereo so soon. I am trying to get as much info as I can from people with experience with these cars, but I am on a bit of a budget since I just got the car, and my old car hasen't sold yet.

I have been looking at a lot of options, but it looks like everything is a compromise, and with car audio you can't hear it until it is in your car it is a bit difficult to pick a driver for a difficult space like this. I am also looking at a pair of Kenwood KFC-XW800F 8" shallow mount sube with a 2 3/4" depth, or Hertz ES F20.5 also with a 2 3/4" mounting depth. Those are both for sale locally around the same price as the CDTs, but I am not sure how good those would work, and I haven't found anyone with experience with those speakers either.
Appreciate 0