View Single Post
      08-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #35
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
So let's say you've got a FMIC and catless DP's installed a month ago, and have just started to hear the rattle, and you're out of warranty of course... What would you do?

1 - Go in with the car all intact, and have them diagnose it, and hope they'll fix it?

2 - Or just have them diagnose it and give authorization for work, hope your SA is friendly, and lets you take car away to remove mods, and bring back stock to get the work done?

3 - Or take all mods out, then go to dealer, which seems totally risky in terms of putting a bunch of money out to take it all out (I just paid 6 freakin' hours of labor to have them put in a month ago... LOL), hope they then give you authorization to have it fixed, otherwise, you're out a bunch of $ and have to pay to have it re-installed too!

4 - Since I'm just out of warranty, and have only got 30,000 miles on the car, wait til it's really bad (the rattle), then do which one of the above?

+1

I'm guessing this is the dilemma many of us face. Pay to remove upgrades, only to risk denial based on subjective bs, or try to get some sort of "preapproval" before going through the hassle? What really burns me is that we all know the problems with these cars wastegates are not related to anything we do to them- it has been a design flaw since day one, which commonly pops up even on stock cars. And BMW knows it.

PS How much do two turbo replacements at a dealer cost anyway? Parts vs. labor?
almost 1/3 the cars value.
Appreciate 0