12-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #710
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanosracing View Post
Ken, I agree. When you buy a german automobile you never know what you are going to get and in my book it is about preventive maintenance versus the threshold of pain & aggravation one is willing to put up with.

My wife's 2000 VW1.8T served us well for just over 12-years and it even saw some track time. Over the years, some stuff broke but overall the car was bullit proof. It was replaced by a 2010 VW GTI (my wife as an attachment to VW) and I'm hoping it proves as solid as the good old MKIV Golf. I'm in the market for an old 911 (I will spare you the details but Tony can fill you in on my obsession in getting the best deal possible), when I do pull the trigger it will be an air cooled 911 with the least electronics possible.
Had I known you were looking, because I recently had the chance to buy a 993 1997 widebody with low kms at $34k and it was nego. Never winter driven of course and cared for. I did not bite because i'd be replacing my 2007 335 with a 1997 which is risky, but I think such a car is a classic, last of the air cooled but with a less wild rear!