CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi to e90 View Post
or lets be serious, its probably the runflats
Yeah - those runflats hate potholes. Ditch 'em for some real tires before you do any suspension upgrades. It all starts and ends with the tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruca View Post
anyone one with koni shocks with H&R springs? Konis are adjustable soft, firm etc. Anyone here have them?
Koni-based shocks + H&R springs are a common combo. Good setup for a DD, based on the reviews I've read in the suspension/chassis forum here.

OP - I strongly advise against springs only .... the stock shocks are not designed for those spring rates; the shocks will wear prematurely as a result. Do shocks + springs at the same time or regret it financially as posted above. This is a good post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
Yes, the H&R sport springs will work with your stock shocks. However, paring up an aftermarket spring with more aggressive spring rates will cause your OEM non-sport or sport shocks to wear out over time. This is due to the fact that OEM shocks are simply not meant to handle the more aggressive spring rates. Think of it this way, you're putting a shorter spring with a longer shock body. The shorter springs will cause the shocks to compress to its maximum setting every time you hit a bump due to the longer travel distance. What this can cause is what's known as bump steer and jarring of the ride. This is what for the most part affects ride quality.

Let's break this down in terms of cost. You'll spend about $230-300 bucks for aftermarket springs, another $250-300 for an installation, and another $65-$125 for an alignment. When your OEM sport or non-sport shocks blow your going to have to spend another $700-800 on shocks, another installation fee, and another alignment. If you calculate that all together, you would saved a whole lot more mone5y doing it right the first time around. A coilver system is definitely going to improve the overall stance, aesthetics, and handling characteristics of the car.

As gizmo335i mentioned he himself had to go through this three times before he got it right. The XI models have it tough as there aren't as many choices available for suspension mods as the RWD models. One of the most popular choices is the KW V1 XI coilovers.
It's the winter time so enjoy the high ride for now ..... take your time looking for the right suspension setup. Not something you want to have to redo.