View Single Post
      04-22-2016, 07:09 AM   #17
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1857 View Post
I understand what he's saying but can also see how it comes across confusing. It's a stock diff concerning what gears are in it but the diff action within that internal stock gear set has been welded so its pure posi all the time. So its kinda stock from a gear ratio perspective but not from how it performs. We do this all the time on Jeeps for rock crawling but definitely not a lot of fun on the street. Cheaper to do it this way for a basically race only setup versus dealing with all the electronic nannies that BMW tosses at you. Hope that helps a bit.
I agree with you 100%. Just trying to figure out why you would do this on a 335i rear. Like you said, it ducks on the street and it's really only for trailering a car to the strip and dragging it. Since our cars suck at the strip and there are lots of options for a LSD, which is just as good, I'm not sure what good this is for except a dedicated drag car, which I've never seen before made from a 335i. If I were gonna do that, I'd put a Ford 9" in instead. This rear takes away the cars strength which is cornering. I was suspecting that since welded rear is a term commonly used for the housing of 335i and not the gears, that this was the case instead.

Can you tell us who did the work and have any pics?
Appreciate 1