02-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #766
gizmo335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 SBM E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [9.42]
OK...the whole time frame thing does not exempt you at all from sales tax on new registration in Texas. If you register a car in this state, and you can not show you paid taxes on it already from wherever else, you have to pay sales tax on the current value of the car.

What you need to do is on the first form you get (can't remember what the number of the form is), put a check in the "New resident" box. This is not supposed to get you out of it. But for some reason, it does when you up to the desk. Just do this and don't say anything about where you bought it, etc. Trust me if you argue about it or bring it up, you will lose. I can tell you my story when you get here. I know plenty of people who brought their car here after buying it overseas and had to pay the sales tax. But everyone that I know that checked that box didn't.

I can't believe this isn't briefed over there. I found out right before I left. And I shipped the 335 and a new C350. So I was gonna have to fork out almost $5K. Thank God I didn't. I had it saved up. And I would suggest you at least be prepared.

300ZX....I have a pretty busy day. I just got back from a trip but let me see if maybe we could do this this evening.