View Single Post
      09-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #79
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Why is it irrelevant? You asked when BMW gave things for free when they can charge for.
If they gave hardware, which costs them something to produce, for free, why wouldn't they give software, which costs them zero to produce (once it's already developed)?

To help determine if we're splitting hairs, what is the difference in your view of this so called Performance Edition "tune" and a "tune from the get go", if such a thing even exist?
One thing must remain constant though... we're talking about the N55 engine.
Obviously, if they change the engine, they can claim any numbers they want. Agreed?
Here's the difference: Yes it is not surprising over the course of 5-10 years a sunroof became free.

BTW, BMW still charges for a sunroof on a brand new M3 sedan...

The N55 obviously already has a "tune". Has an ECU map for the turbo. The Performance Edition tune is either a piggyback, or a different map completely. Either way, it is changing the way the car came from the factory.

Frankly when you first mentioned the tune being "free" you made it sound like anyone with a 335i could just go into the dealer and have their engine re-mapped, for free. If that IS what you are implying, I completely disagree with that.

If what you ARE saying is the N55 will just start to come from the factory with 320hp instead of 300hp, I could possibly believe that. But it won't be because they are offering the Performance Tune for free. It's because that is how the ECU is now mapped from the factory.