View Single Post
      10-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #229
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 VF Supercharged, 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
I told you from the very first post of this thread that the N54 pistons are cast. Yet everyone was so blinded by the forged piston possibility that they chose not to believe Mahle (the manufacturer) itself and they chose to hang on by the fact that there are 2 part numbers for the N54 pistons, which means nothing.
I am not personally comfortable saying this just yet. I can tell you this - the piston on my desk is not made by Mahle. It looks like there were at least 2 piston suppliers to BMW.

Our guy at Mahle, the owner of VAC and our machine shop foreman (with 40+ years experience) say the piston on my desk is in fact cast. The contoured inner walls are a dead giveway - with forging that is not possible.

The piston I have is cast, came out of an untouched Aug 06 N54 and it is NOT built by Mahle.

When we talked to Mahle, they had supposedly supplied only forged pistons to BMW for the N54. Quite a mystery, I have been working on this for a week off and on. This is what I have so far
Appreciate 0