View Single Post
      10-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #236
Brian_VACsales
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 VF Supercharged, 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
Well, the people from Mahle looked up my VIN and they said I have cast pistons. I also don't think BMW would switch from cast to forged pistons in the mean time. Mahle also said that they don't have forged N54 pistons in their aftermarket range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHLE
All of the n54 drawings that I have are forged pistons"
Our contact at MAHLE took the time to look up the drawings. It is possible that he is wrong, but not likely. What people supply to the OEM is not exactly posted on a board in the lunch room - I know when I was a Tier1 supplier to Porsche Mazda and Ford (previous job) only 2-3 people in the building knew the specifics of the programs.

Quote:
Also, from what I read forged pistons make a lot of noise, so this is probably one reason BMW uses cast pistons.
Properly specified forged pistons do not make extra noise. We sell close to a million dollars worth of pistons per year, and we never get complaints. We keep it simple and spec them per manufacturer guidance Others who spec them with greater clearances may experience piston slap during startup.
Appreciate 0