Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitos_7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emedini View Post
motor poped at 32psi was making 500rwkw first ST in aus
So, is 32psi the max boost a N54 engine will handle on stock internal? Finally someone discovered the limit for us!

Bloody strong engine to handle that much boost, considering that stock it only boosts 8psi from factory.

Awesome build btw, from memory there's another N54 running a single turbo in Aus. It was a 135i I think, but it's not setup as a drag car.

Good work to have done everything yourself. More photos please
hardly, I've seen people running 36psi. tuning will play a big part in engine longevity at these boost levels. not to mention PI integration currently is very limited and all it takes is a misfire, DI fuel cut where PI keeps following resulting in a hyperlean condition to melt a piston.

I've also read about the car going into catalytic converter protection mode and cutting fuel on the DI side having the same result as above.

afaik with proper tuning the biggest issue is the open deck block and the lack of cyl support resulting in cylinders becoming oval shaped after some time.

with a bad tune you can blow a motor at stock boost levels thankfully we have knock sensors which detect knock and pull timing. this is the reason why we don't see many more blown motors and pretty much the reason why the jb4 and any other piggyback work without many more engines going bang. in saying that any knock at 32psi is going to be pretty detrimental to the engine even if the sensors pick it up.

not saying that the OP is bad at tuning just pointing out that you can't conclusively say that 32psi is the max based on this one engine going bang.
Appreciate 0