View Single Post
      03-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #14
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Until some company does an independant test of several dozen of the same cars (and repeating this several times with numerous other sets of the same cars) using a hard, moderate, and by the owner's manual method of break in procedure and then dyno testing the cars there is NO WAY to know FOR SURE which is the best break in method.

Therefore, in the meantime, it's best to just assume the mechanical engineers and testing engineers from EACH company actually knows what they are talking about when they suggest a break in period for their respective cars.
These manufacturers don't hire high school drop outs or current girl scouts to write up their break in procedures in their owners manuals. And I'm sure they don't just make up random mileage numbers for the break ins.

I think it's safe to say they did SOME testing of their engines BEFORE installing them in their cars and writing the owners manuals.

So for longevity and the best well being of your engine and drivetrain...when in doubt just follow the owners manual...you can't really lose by doing so.
Appreciate 0