Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin@AKMotorwerk View Post
you're talking about under the strut tower on the strut itself right? they are on every e90/92/93 i've seen, some guys take them out to lower them, and for anyone who says it wasnt on their car, its probably stuck to the underside of the strut tower or it was removed by the previous owner.

i don't know what that spacer really does in terms of support aside from spread the forces across i bigger "footprint" under the strut tower
Yes, under the strut tower.

I agree with your last statement. I think that was it's intended purpose. However I don't see it as being that helpful. From the looks of the diagrams on realoem.com, the plate is the same size as the strut hat....diameter wise.

I would think that if you wanted this "reinforcement plate" (This is how it's termed in my bentley manual) to alleviate some of the load on the top of the strut tower, it would either be wider or attached to some other part of the tower/frame.

I can't see how having a plate the same diameter of the strut hat, reinforces anything but the flex of the strut hat itself AFTER a tower has mushroomed.

Thanks for the responses guys.
Appreciate 0