View Single Post
      01-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amlethae View Post
Huh. I don't really have an answer for you, but I've always gone by the rule of thumb that you should be able to see just a hair of the side of your car in each side-view mirror. Do you sit really far forward? If you're not afraid of looking like an old person you should get some of those convex stick on mirrors to help see in blind spots. I've got convex mirrors on my Ducatis and they are glorious once you get used to them.
Seeing the side of your car in your side view mirrors is old fashioned. The modern thought on rear view mirror placement is you should set them so you start seeing the car in the next lane as it leaves the view or your rear view mirror. This eliminates the blind spots.

To set the left mirror, rest your head against the driver's window and adjust the mirror until you cannot see the side of the car (this is where the OP has his issue, me too). To adjust the right hand mirror, lean your head over the console and adjust the mirror until you can't see the side of the car.

This setup takes some getting used to but it's the safest way to set your side mirrors.
Appreciate 1